Hey friends! It has been a very long time since I have posted, October to be exact! But now that we are all stuck in quarantine, the ability to try new recipes is upon us! Listen, I'd be lying if I said I've been baking a ton over the past few weeks, because I haven't. I have been baking a bit, but also spending lots of time on the couch doing nothing and it's glorious! However one day I decided I wanted donuts, so I went on Pinterest to my "recipes to try" board. I found some coca cola chocolate donuts and thought HELLO! It was a quick and easy recipe to follow and they were oh so delicious! I posted videos on my Insta stories and I legit had lots of people ask for the recipe so here it is!
Note I used our compliments cola since that's all I had and it still worked well. But I'm guessing using real coke would be much better!
I must say it is totally worth investing in a donut pan. Baked donuts are so easy and are a great quick option when you need to bring dessert to a potluck or brunch.
Baked Coca Cola Donuts
Recipe Yield: 12 donuts
*Nutrition information is based on one unglazed donut*
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Coca-Cola
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons Coca-Cola
1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.Prep your donut pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, Coca-Cola, and oil. Whisk to mix well.
4. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined.
5. Set this mixture aside for about 15 minutes and preheat the oven at 325 degrees.This will allow the baking powder to activate and help to make the donuts have a fluffier, lighter texture
6. I prefer to pour the batter into a pipping bag so it is easier to fill each donut well. Fill 3/4 of the way.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes in the preheated oven until the top of the donut bounces back when lightly pressed. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in pan. Gently loosen donuts from pan and invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
8. While the donuts are cooling, prepare the icing by melting butter and combine with Coca-Cola. Mix in cocoa powder, sifted powdered sugar(to get all the clumps out), vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
9. When the donuts are cooled, dip each in the icing and set back on the cooling rack to dry.
Original recipe can be found at ourlifetastesgood.blogspot.com